These French Gougères are small savoury pastry puffs, made with choux dough mixed with cheese. These are sure to impress your guests at aperitif time.I have been serving these gougères for many years, and nothing makes me happier than to see the excitement it brings my friends and family.
One important thing to remember is that the stronger the cheese is, the tastier the gougères; so do not hesitate to use a well-aged cheese if one is available to you.
Shop the look (cutting board, serving bowl, etc.) at the end of this post.Preparation: 20 mns
Cooking time: 10-15 mns
Recipe for: 4 personsIngredients:
25 cl water
150 g all purpose flour
75 g butter
75 g grated cheese (emmental for example or any strong cheese. The stronger the tastier)
1. Preheat the oven to 210°C.
2. Boil water together with butter.
3. When boiling, remove the pan from the heat and add the flour all at once. Mix thoroughly to obtain a lump-free consistency.
4. Let dough sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Add the eggs, one by one.
6. Add a pinch of salt and the cheese.
7. Using a teaspoon, form small mounds of dough and place them on a buttered baking plate.
8. Bake for approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Monitor them as they are in the oven.
Photo credit @Helene | Perfect-imperfect.com