How to give a second life to a basic white cube shelf from Ikea? With Frenchic furniture paint, it’s quick and easy. I am showing you as well how to customise your shelf with paint and paper. So last week I attended a great workshop organised by Anne-Laure and Diane, the girls behind interior design firm AD Concept (read last week’s post here). Not only did I use Frenchic furniture paint for the very first time – and realised how easy it is and how great the results are-, but I also was taught that all Ikea white melamine storage furniture can actually be painted using Frenchic. Meaning you can give your Billy bookcase and Malm chest of drawers a new colour in just a few easy steps. Here is what I did, step by step:
- Moisten the paintbrush with a small quantity of water. Dip the paintbrush into the paint and start applying first coat;
- Wait 10 minutes for the paint to dry (don’t worry at this time if there are brush traces, it’s fine). While waiting I had a nice chat with the person sitting next to me whom was also waiting for her paint to dry;
- Apply second coat of paint;
- Allow paint to dry for 10 to 15 minutes (used this free time to chat with another participant over coffee and homemade madeleines baked with love by Anne-Laure and Diane);
- Apply third coat of paint;
- Wait 10 to 15 minutes (at that time, I decided to take a few pictures of the workshop so I could illustrate my blog posts 🙂
Basically it took me approximately 7 minutes per coat of paint and 10 to 15 minutes to let each coat of paint dry. Total: 1 hour. Yes, it is that simple and that fast! Customise your shelf
- Option 1. Once the shelf was completely dry, I decided to customise it by applying a coat of paint of a different colour at the back. I used “Hot as Mustard” for the shelf and “Salt of the Earth” for the back. Check out the pictures further down this post.
- Option 2. Another idea to customise your shelf is to glue paper at the back. I used a lovely paper with geometric patterns in green hues given by Diane and Anne-Laure. See the selection of pictures from Pinterest below.
- Option 3. There are so many different ways you could customise your Ikea shelf, including removable stickers.
Now you know how to give a new life to any basic white Ikea furniture you have at home. Which is the one piece of furniture you could give a face lift to? Have you used Frenchic furniture paint before? Hit reply now and tell me! If you liked this post, share it on Facebook here!